Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Ode to Eating

My first 14 weeks of pregnancy have been nothing but bliss.  Ha!  Not even close.  They have been nothing but nausea, sleepiness, and eating.  As Matt and I were eating dinner this evening, (at 5pm) he made the comment "since when did you become a senior citizen?"  I can not help that I have to eat dinner at 5pm or that I fall asleep at 8pm on the couch and then migrate to bed at 9:30.  At this point those things do not bother me, they are only the facts of my life.  Unless you have been pregnant, and even then you might not understand, you can not quite understand my strong desires to eat.  How often do you have the feeling of "I need to eat NOW or I'm going to puke" or "I need to eat NOW or I'm going to pass out!"  It probably does not help my situation that I have very little excess body fat, so when my gas tank needs refilled, time is of the essence.  Eating is no longer confined to 3 episodes a day.  My eating schedule is as follows: breakfast, 8am morning snack, 9:45 morning snack, 11:30 lunch, 3 o'clock snack, dinner (between 5 and 6pm) and usually a before bed snack.  On the occasion that I wake up at night (how about every night around 1:30 if I drank something after 8pm or 3:30 if I did not) I might have a late night snack.   From my pregnancy experience so far, here are my words of wisdom.  
  • Always have food on hand, no matter where, or what time
  • Never brush your tongue; although it helps fight bad breath, now it is not a good idea.  Do not ask why.
  • It is never too early to go to bed, and there is no wrong time to take a nap
I would have to say that it has been worth it, to hear the amazing "wub, wub, wub" of the baby.

No comments: